Sunday 5 February 2012

Wiring - crimps, joining and endstops

The mechanical side of the build (frame, extruder and print bed) is fairly straight forward as long as you have the correct tools and parts. As there isn't much too it and its pretty well documented I'll post that later.

I used 0.1inch crimps and connected housings from Hobbytronics, see my Connectors, crimps and wires post (link) for full details.


Crimping

To crimp the connectors I used a small nosed pair of pliers, as opposed to spending £20+ on an official tool.
Nophead outlines the method in this video.


Motor connectors

This are very straight forward, if you brought your stepper motors from Zapp you don't even have to strip the wire.

Crimp the 4 wires then insert them in order (link to wiki page about wire colour) into a 4 way housing. In the case of the SY42STH47-1684A is black, green, blue, red.


Endstops (mechanical)

Firstly you need to solder or connect (using a crimp on the wire) your 2 wires to the switch.

On the above image I've marked which legs of the switch to join the wire to.

I highly recommend you use 2 different colours or styles of wire for this. Keep the left wire one colour or style and the right wire another. In my case I used a network cable for the wire so the left was solid with the right using white striped.

Crimp the other end of the wire then insert into a 2 way housing.


Transistor

This is the trickiest bit of wiring you have to do, its tricky as solder is fairly pointless and its fiddly.

Remove a crimp (0.1 inch) from the reel then cut across the red line marked above.

Now insert one of the transistor legs into the right side (the side with the longer wings). Using the same pliers you used for the standard crimps close the wings tightly around the wire (so it doesn't move).

Do the same with the wire on the left side (this holds easier).
The above image shows roughly what it would look like (well when its not been crimped), the blue wire going to the electronics board and the green wire doing to the transistor.

Slide over some heatshrink tubing and shrink (the air vents on a soldering iron work nicely) to add an extra layer of support (and a little safer).


Thermistor

As its a small single (note I wrapped the rest of the wire in kapton tape) wire I merely soldered it to a multicore wire, added heatshrink tubing and shrank it. I then crimped the other 2 ends and inserted it into a 2 way housing.

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct way to wire and join the thermistor so stay on the side of caution if you choose to copy me on this one.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for these instructions, they have helped a lot, and are just what I needed :)

    ReplyDelete