Wednesday 9 November 2011

Connectors, crimps and wires

When I was initially budgeting for my build I didn't think twice about the connections I'd need for the stepper motors, endstop or anything else.
I just thought, I can save time and hassle by soldering them on.

Now looking at the time its taking to solder RAMPS (damn you tiny smd parts) I'm very reluctant to solder anything to the board. Its like a piece of art which is taking time to create and perfect
You don't go and whack a nail though the canvas on a piece of art now do you?

There is only one reasonable solution, crimped connectors.
However there are literally hundreds if not thousands of different connector types. All in different shapes and sizes.
After looking through the RepRap forums I found this thread. This gave two very important bits of information;
1. Dupont connectors are good for the job
2. The size is 2.54mm or 0.1"

This in mind I headed over to ebay to see if I could find any dupont connector. There were loads, however they were all based in the US or Asia. Both of which would take at least a week to arrive (without I paid a silly premium).
Back to google I went, after about 10 minutes of searching I found exactly what I needed at HobbyTronics.
A nice selection of 0.1" housings and both female and male crimps.

I figured I need 4 crimps per motor (excluding one of the Z motors), 2 for each end stop and 6 for the hot end (4 for the resistor and 2 for the thermistor).
So 28 ( (4*4)+(3*2)+6).
For the housings I need a few sets of 4 (for the motors), a few sets of 2 (for everything else) and some singles just in case.

Final basket

1x Female Crimp Pins for 0.1" Housings 50-Pack  - £2.25
1x Crimp Connector Housing: 0.1 inch pitch 1x4-Pin 10-Pack -£0.45
1x Crimp Connector Housing: 0.1 inch pitch 1x2-Pin 25-Pack -£0.59
1x Crimp Connector Housing: 0.1 inch pitch 1-Pin 25-Pack -£0.55
Sub-Total -£3.84
Delivery - £2
Total - £5.84

Bargain now I don't have to trash the connection on RAMPS.

PS. I ordered around 3pm and there where shipped at around 4pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment