Monday 28 November 2011

Update

I just noticed that I haven't updated this blog in quite sometime.

Why the delay?

Stepper motor driver

Firstly the stepper driver I fried. It took about a week for a new one to arrive.
Instead of going with RepRapWorld (I choose against it due to the issues I had with the RAMPS kit) I brought it from eBay (link).

It worked out about £1 more, but I thought it would be nice to try a different supplier.
I ordered it on the 16/11/2011 and it arrived 24/11/2011, this alone set me back a full week.

When I came to install the stepper driver yesterday I noticed the trimpot (the little circular part at the bottom) kept turning.

I asked the supplier and got the following reply
There are no stops to these trimpots.
But you can adjust the current limit by measuring the voltage on the trimpot dial.
Adjust the voltage to 0.7 x max stepper current.


This means more testing and even more delay

Drill bits, drills and family business

When I planned for this project I took into account a selection of tools which my father owns. Unfortunately for me he was using them at my sisters new house which meant I couldn't just use them.
This set me back a few days.
Then when I finally got hold the a drill he didn't have a 3mm drill bit...

On top of this my sister is pregnant and she offered to let me go with her for the scans. I can build a RepRap any time, but my sister will only have her first pregnancy once.

Wire strippers and hot glue gun

These two items I brought myself and thought I knew exactly where they were. However it turns out a family member had borrowed them then another family member put them in a bag then into the back room*.

I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning out one of the large cupboards and still didn't find them. On the plus side I did find a selection of tools and strangely enough about £20 worth of women's beauty products.


*the back room is where all the random items go, similar to a loft only with fishing tackle and pet hedgehogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment