Tuesday 15 November 2011

Avoid RepRapWorld for electronics - UPDATE DIY kits only

I posted earlier about a few of the pins being bent on the stepper drivers and the headers.

As the assembly went on I noticed more and more issues.

After the pins I discovered the red LED's where far smaller then the green LED (I suspect 0603). This made soldering them harder and much trickier.

As I neared the final steps I noticed RepRapWorld had supplied me with 6x 8pin headers (for the stepper drivers) as opposed to 2x 24pin header. This meant I had to file the middle headers and slightly force it in, both of which are risky to do.

On top of all this the Arduino Mega 1280 (a clone..) doesn't even come with a USB cable or feet. To make matters a little more confusing (to a newbie at least) its preloaded with the blink example.

Add all this to the fact it took them 13 working days to even dispatch the order, I'm not happy with them.

To top it all off when I mentioned RepRapWorld on the IRC channel Kliment instantly said RepRapWorld had caused people no end of hassle and he was getting annoyed with RepRapWorld.

Honestly if my RAMPS board ever works I'd be surpised.

OK I'll be honest some of the trouble is down to be and my tools*, but RepRapWorld have caused way more then there fair share of issues.

*I know the common phrase a poor workman blame his tools, but in my case my soldering iron tip was fubar and it seems like my soldering iron overheats.

3 comments:

  1. I can report same problems you mention on RAMPS 1.4 kit from Reprapworld, I was even more unlucky and two out of four stepsticks were DOA. Seller replaced them though. I do not want to solder more red leds like the ones coming with the kit, and I do too bought a larger lense since then just in case :-)

    Worst problem is female headers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unlucky

    I just measured the red LED's (I've been meaning to for a while).
    0.8mm wide vs 1.3mm wide on the green LED

    Which does put in the 0603 form factor (hard to measure the length as they are soldered in, but its 1.6mm to 1.8mm region).

    Its very poor show by RepRapWorld, shame they are one of the only EU RAMPS 1.4 sellers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not happy at all with the PLA they sent me this year (right out from esunpla, oval, washed-out and brittle). Will be avoiding 'em too.

    ReplyDelete