Monday 17 October 2011

Hardware + Extruder

As you can tell by the number of posts my project is flying along at this stage.

Since the plastics arrived on Saturday and electrics ordered, I really need to get a move on with the hardware and extruder.

As I started to enter the items from my BOM into the cart at Thingfarm I noticed all the stepper motor kits where sold out.
No trouble as I can just use Zapp Automation, its a tad more expensive, which means I can get all the parts around the same time.
Nope all the nema 17 stepper motors suitable for my RepRap where also sold out.

After browsing various other RepRap stores I noticed a trend they where either sold out of nema 17 stepper motors or charging €18+ each (excluding shipping) for them.
Well over the £65 budget for the motors.

I contacted Thingfarm and was informed they would be ordering more stock the same day, however the lead time as roughly 2 weeks. Not only this, but the cost might be more (due to an increased price from there supplier).

I could order the single motors for £13 each or just wait a few days and see if Zapp Automation or Thingfarm get new stock.

For the moment I picked the latter.

Hardware and Extruder order

Prusa Hardware kit (T5) - £46.67
J Head Nozzle MK2 - £35
Wade's Extruder Hardware Kit - £18
Kapton Tape - £3.33
Delivery - £5

Total - £108

Why did I pick Thingfarm?

Because the prices are great, they include extras and a few freebies.
The above order includes 100 cable ties, plumbers tape and heat shrink tubing all free.

On top of this after placing the order I noticed I needed an extra 8 M3x20 bolts, nuts and washers. Gingerly I sent a message to Thingfarm if this would be ok. Within a few minutes I got a reply saying it would be fine and they are considering added them to the kit as a standard.
Thats what I call good customer service.


Hot Ends

There are 3 main types of hot ends currently being using for RepRaps.
  • Arcol.hu
  • J Head
  • Simple (don't know the correct name)

Arcol.hu. is the most complex design, the looks and number of parts put me off this design almost straight away. Its also considerably more expensive to source in the UK then the alternatives.
J Head, combines the nozzle and heater block, making the hot end form a J shape.
Simple, is almost the same as J Head only with a separate heater block.

For me it was a choice between J Head and the standard simple design.
In the end it came down to cost, a standard hot end with the resistor and thermistor worked out at £40+, the J Head worked out at £30+.
Plus I prefer the look of the J Head nozzle.

I choose MK2, as after reading as much documentation as I could find about J Head nozzles/hot ends, is designed to be easier to mount. As this is my first build I want this to go as smoothly as possible so I spent the extra £5.


Cost of Hardware and Extruder - £108
Total Cost so far -  £298.29

No comments:

Post a Comment