Thursday 27 October 2011

26th October - A little more work on the frame and `not` a trip to B&Q

Like the previous post this is a back dated post.

A little more frame building and alignment

With my new M8x45 bolt (couldn't find a fully thread M8x50) I went back to building the frame.
I spent about 1 hour aligning the frame, double checking the distances between sections and completing pages 59 to 67.

I choice to leave 1 and 2 on page 63 until after steps 3, 4 and 5. Then just thread the plumb (or in my case a nut on some fishing line) line through the rod hole.
I did this mainly because I was worried about losing any more parts as it doesn't really save any time just a little space.

Thread the plumb line through the bar clamp.
I found that threading the plumb through the top and bottom bar clamps (pictured above) allowed me align bar clamp on 2 axis' as opposed running the plumb beside the clamp and only aligning one axis.

B&Q or not

I didn't want to proceed to gluing stage without having the print bed set (as it looks like a pain to get in once the z axis is in place).
So I thought I would grab a quick bite to eat then head off to B&Q for the mdf.

I was about to leave at 7.20pm then my sister chirped up that she wanted to come along for some wall paper. Fine, but we'd have to take another car as the mdf would mean the back seats in my car would have to be down.
Two more family members wanting to go to B&Q and 10 minutes later we were ready to go.
The only trouble was the time was now 7.30pm, B&Q shuts at 8pm and it takes atleast 10 minutes to get there.
I jumped in the back of my sisters husband car and as soon as we set of my sister decided that B&M was cheaper for wall paper and as they sell DIY stuff she was "sure they have mdf". This added another 10 minutes to the journey time, the store is in the other direction and requires going through a town.

We got there 10 minutes before they were due to close and after a quick run around the store looking for mdf it appeared they did not in fact carry mdf. To make matters worse after 10 minutes of looking at wall paper they decided none suited the rooms and that B&Q might have been better...

Total time spend building my reprap: 4 hours 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment